Re: (ET) Elec-Trak loaders?

Jim:
I agree with your post in most respects.  However, bucket loaders were made
(I have 1), and do work.  See my web site at :
www.plitch.com for more details and diagrams.

Steering is a bear.  I have found it almost impossible to turn the wheel of
the E-15 when stationary. However, the steering gear itself seems up to the
challenge and I have noticed no unusual wear in the steering gear.
Steering
is a bit easier with high front tire pressures and even slight motion
forward or reverse.

 I have also learned (the hard way!) to never allow the steering to go to
"full lock" when turning sharply since the vectored forces against the
front
spindles as the wheel attempts to "plow" straight ahead with a full bucket
will snap the spindle.

Traction is a real issue due to all that cantilevered weight.  I have a
rear
weight box and tire chains, but even so its often not enough.  A locking
differential would be nice!  My operating solution is to put the bucket on
the ground, lever the front wheels almost off the ground, and just drag a
full bucket up a slope backwards.

I use mine to load a dump cart pulled by an ATV for trail maintenance,
mostly handling sand.  The cart is described as a "12 cubic ft" capacity,
and the ET loader can fill it from the sand pile in 4 modest buckets.
Size-wise, the bucket is the same length as the cart body, so filling is
pretty clean and easy.  By the way, I put an electric travel trailer jack
on
the cart with a connection to the ATV's electric system so I have a
motorized dump lift.

I would agree that an ET loader is not the best solution.  I can feel the
frame flex a bit under load, the steering is a bear, the traction is poor,
but it does exist and it does work.  I would argue that a very small 4
wheel
drive gas (gasp) tractor with a bucket loader might be more appropriate for
my use.  But the ET is here and works fine for the purpose.  Too bad there
isn't a tracked ET or a half-track kit like those offered for ag tractors.
But that would require individual wheel brakes, and that's a whole 'nuther
discussion.