Re: (ET) Noisy Transmission/Mower deck poll

  I had a noisy transaxle on my E-15 earlier this year, I believe it is the
input shaft bearings since it is noisy when I run the motor while the
transaxle is in neutral. Without the drive belt, the motor is quiet while
running. I talked to Bill Gunn about it and he has all the parts for
rebuilding it. He also advised me not to try to remove the axle hubs by
beating or hammering on them since this would cause more damage. I did try
to soak them and use a puller, without any hammering, but that was a waste
of time. Bill said to cut the hubs and split them to get them off. He does
have new hubs to replace them. So far I've taken the easy road out and
bought a few old tractors for parts. I first drained the fluid and filled
it
up before installing it in the tractor so I could get in the full amount.
do intend to rebuild the old transaxle one of these days but it is a job
that I want to start and finish and not let it sit on the bench for six
months. Bill said he has the manuals and parts for a rebuild; all I need
now
is time but I'd like to talk to someone that has done one before I start to
eliminate any surprises.
  I've had my first E15 since 1970 and I tried the side discharge once and
didn't like it so I want back to the rear discharge.
        Good Luck,
              BarryP

 [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Citizens Internet Services with
Declude
Virus v 1.62i9]

---