From: Christopher Zach [mailto:czach computer org]
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 12:16 PM
To: Christopher Meier; Elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) steering

Chris:

> I've been meaning to mechanically dig into my new E16 for the past
month,
> but other items have continually distracted me.  The steering is
'loose'
on
> this new unit, meaning there is plenty of side to side slop in it.  I
> believe when I first glanced at it a while back that the play is in
the
> joint between the triangular shaped steering gear and the shaft it is
> mounted on.  If I recall correctly, it has a set screw or something
that
> attaches it.  Can anyone comment on the likely repair needed here, and
what
> if any parts are likely to need replacement, and followup on that is
does
> anyone have the relevent parts off a spare parts tractor?

My steering "skips" as well, and has a lot of play in the wheel. It
looks
like the pinion gear is stripped or something. What fun.

> My other E16 has tight steering.  So I suspect something may be loose,
or
> worn from being loose.  With so many that have rebuilt their tractors
in
the
> past year, someone must know the answer to this off the top of their
head.

Get thee a grease gun. There are two pressure fittings on the wheel
supports. My guess is there is no grease in there; it makes the tractor
very
heavy and almost impossible to steer.

I'm probably going to drop my entire tractor's steering assembly in a
week
or so and find out why it's so tough to turn. Something's wrong.

Chris