RE: (ET) Problems with my E15, Need a little help

 I agree it sounds like the field voltage disappears when the throttle
is in the top position. Put a voltmeter on the field windings and run
the motor with the transmission in neutral. You should see full battery
voltage in the lower speed notches and then a drop in the voltage as the
you move the lever into the top position. If the voltage goes away or
drops to only a few volts then that is the problem. Running the motor
with out field voltage will burn the motor up.

To get max torque you need full field voltage (starting). To get max
speed and lower torque (running) you need to reduce the field voltage.

The BIG resistors in the front of the tractor are used for the armature
and are the main part of the speed control. They drop the voltage to the
armature to make the motor go slower.

The field and armature work opposite each other. For starting you would
want full voltage on the field and lower voltage on the armature to
prevent flipping the tractor over (wheelie) on startup. Running in the
top notch is just the opposite, lower voltage on the field and full
voltage on the armature.

The red circuit breaker is for the charger circuit and would not be part
of this problem.

 Dwight

Dwight L. Hazen, Indiana University, UITS
Bloomington, In. 47408-7378
812-855-5367 IP phone 317-278-4014
hazen indiana edu http://php.ucs.indiana.edu/~hazen/
Ham Radio wb9tlh arrl net http://wb9tlh.ampr.us