Re: (ET) Breaking in a new pack

In my understanding, the Landis controller has no real advantage in
breaking
in a new battery pack, however, I think it has other advantages in normal
use (not just long-term storage).

Granted, the ultimate controller would be three stage type. The most basic
controller is a timed charge, which is what the ET has as standard. I
believe Landis is trying to give us something in the middle ground - a
timed
controller that senses pack voltage. With the straight timer arrangement,
it
easy to overcharge (or undercharge) the pack. With the Landis controller,
charging is done only when it is needed. The 'on' time is fairly short,
which may make it thought of as a 'float' charger, but if the pack is drawn
down, it will cycle over and over until the pack voltage stays above 38V
(or
the set point you choose). I could argue for a longer 'on' time. I think
little harm would come of a 15-30 minute 'on' time. Of course there is more
probabilty of overcharge, but far less than with the stock timer (which is
why I went with the Landis).

Now, I am not a battery expert, so please flail away!

SteveS
E12S