Re: (ET) Breaking in a new pack

On 26 Aug 2002 at 4:14, harry landis wrote:

> If
> you use the Landis controller, the ET charger turns on when the resting
> no
> load voltage of the pack falls below 38 volts. It turns off 5 minutes
> later.
> When the resting no load voltage falls below 38 volts again, the charger
> charges another 5 minutes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong: as I understand it, this device is mainly
intended to keep the pack charged when the tractor isn't being used.

In my book, that's the functionality of a float charger.  The Landis
controller  (presumably) accomplishes what a regulated float charger would
do, using the not-quite-regulated output of the GE charger.

Don't misunderstand me; I'm not disparaging your controller in any way!
It
appears to have significant value for those who store their ETs part of
the
year.  There may be other advantages I don't know about.

The question to which I was responding had to do with breaking in a new
battery pack.  Can you suggest how a Landis controller might be
advantageous
for that purpose?

Thanks again for the comments.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all

thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.

Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion

Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                                -- Harper's Index, April 2002