Re: (ET) Motor question

On my E-15 motor, it was hit or miss as to whether or
not the motor would turn.  The first time I powered it,
the motor spun.  Must have had some type of residual
field.  The next time it wouldn't.  If you spun the
motor by hand a bit to start it, it would spin slowly.
For the most part, it wouldn't turn without the field.
This was with the motor detatched from the trans.

Darin Gilbert

> Rod,
> What I've learned from others on the list is that the
series field on the ET
> motors is just a compensating field to keep speed from
dropping under heavy
> load, i.e., it can't produce enough field to run the
motor...Bob

7:31:27 AM >>>

> I have a 13" compound wound 72 volt forklift motor in
the garage.
> This motor can run (slowly) with a 12V automotive
charger connected
> directly to the series field (no voltage on the shunt
field).
> The no load current is about 4 times higher, but it
still runs.

> Since the ET has a compound motor, I figured I could
do the same test.
> I jacked up the back wheels and put the charger across
the series field,
> but the wheels didn't turn.  Has anyone ever tried a
similar experiment?
> A friend told me it had a weak series field, but I
would think it is strong
> enough
> to turn the wheels when its jacked up.  The motor was
definitely drawing