(ET) Re:

> William Murphy wrote:
>
> the tractor frame being grounded
>
> this happened out of the blue.  no battery post touching seat or
> frame.   This is also with one battery disconnected.   removed the
> power regulator, no change.   no wires appear to be touching, but why
> is the tractor grounded (or hot).  moved, pulled, checked all wires,
> without removing insulating tape which is the next logical step.
> trace each wire from battery to wherever.  basically two battery wires
> do not go to other batteries but to power disconnect and a junction
> panel located under the pto regulator..  guess the next step is to
> take the belts off the motor and check that area.
> thanks for the advice
> bill of maine

I addressed something along these lines a little while ago.  Perhaps it
was burried in my message and most did not read it (ah well).

When I did maintenance on my ET, I found 2 things that might relate to
your problem:
(1) One heavy gauge wire had gotten loose and was being rubbed by the
drive belt.  This wore down the insulation and it may have touched
tractor body on a few occassions.  I think (although I have not
confirmed this) that this wire touching tractor body may have resulted
in the terminal of Battery #3 melting.
(2) In the access panel beneath the main console, I found a medium gauge
wire that was crunched by the steering gear.  Right near that area is a
large, flat metal plate being used as a shunt between wires.  I noticed
the corner of this metal plate was scorched and somewhat melted.
Perhaps this wire being exposed and contacting the metal plate caused
that.

--
 mailto:Jeremy Gagliardi com