Re: (ET) Solid state controls

Actually, on the E15 you are *not* reversing heavy current. Remember: On a
shunt motor the "big" windings are in the armature. The field currents are
quite a bit smaller; that's why they aren't really on solenoid and can be
weakened with relatively small resistors. For a demo, look at the FW
resistors as opposed to the 1A/2A ones for speeds 1-2.

Thus they could get away with a simple relay. However there is a catch...

The catch is that when you throw the field into reverse while the armature
is still going in fwd, the armature is going to have a nice big magnetic
field suddenly going opposite the (reversing) field. This is going to cause
one heck of a spark when the relays close on the field, and will blow out
the relay points rather quickly. On the E20 the field is kept locked
(weakened at worst) while the armature changes polarity. The contacts are
much bigger (they have to switch in 100+ amps), the speeds you go thru are
buffered by the resistor, and to be honest the back-EMF is absorbed by the
FW circuitry. I guess at worst you would blow a fuse in the FW system.

An interesting note: Since the motors aren't true shunt motors, they have a
small field circuit in series with the armature. When you reverse either
the
armature and the field, you wind up with the shunt field and the series
field running in opposite directions, and somewhat cancelling each other
out. This is why:

1) The tractors go "faster" in reverse. The field is already slightly
weakened in reverse due to this effect
2) There is less power in reverse. Also the more you load down the tractor
in reverse, the more powerful the series field becomes, and the less power
the motor develops (as the series field cuts into the shunt field)
3) The FW circuitry is cut out in reverse. If you did happen to try and
weaken the field, you would probably burn out the motor.The advantage (and
this is an interesting one) is

Neat stuff.
Chris