From: "SteveS" <ssawtelle fcc net>
To: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 6:50 AM
Subject: Re: (ET) Colorado Tractor Pull Results

> Nice looking machine and good going!
>
> Maybe they need a distance/dB award!
>
> SteveS
> E12S

 ----- Original Message -----
 From: "David M. Stensland" <stensland peakpeak com>
To: "'Elec-trak Mail List'" <>
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 3:42 AM
Subject: (ET) Colorado Tractor Pull Results

Here's an update on the tractor pull event that was held this weekend in
Longmont, Colorado.

Going into this, my approach was to simply make an appearance, meet
another Elec-Trak enthusiast or two, try not to embarrass myself, and
have fun.

At weigh in, I think they classed me in the GT16 class, but later I was
re-classed as a GT11 because of the reduced horsepower. They really
didn't know where to put me because they'd never seen a crazy tractor
like mine at any Colorado tractor pull event.  I made it clear that I
was there to have fun and not really compete.  My E12M weighed in at 869
pounds with the wheel weights sans charger and deck, and 1075 with me on
it.  That's with 3 year old Sam's Club Stowaway GC batteries (GNB T-105
equivalent) installed.

After weigh I began to suspect that tractor-pull enthusiast enjoy the
sensation of severe tinnitus.  Soon I found myself surrounded by
straight pipes, bored-out engines, twin engines, fresh paint, chrome,
lots of rubber, and tons of weights.  There I was in the middle of it
all with my quiet electric.  I felt like a lamb at a slaughter house.

Soon it was my turn to hookup.  My wife, son, and Herb Crary, an
Elec-Trak list member from Boulder, Colorado were there to cheer me on.
On the first run, the crowd stared in utter disbelief as my electric
tractor silently pulled the skid down the track and across the finish
line.  They were both stunned and amused at the same time.  Crossing the
finish line without breaking something or doing poorly made my day.  The
ammeter never left the yellow region and the tires didn't spin at all.
The motor RPM remained constant throughout the entire run and gave me
confidence for the next round.

The second run wasn't as good.  I almost finished, but 1700+lbs on the
skid proved to be too much at around 49 feet.  The tractor bogged to a
stop with tired batteries.  Traction was not a problem nor was front end
lift.  The rear wheels barely spun, but the ammeter needled was
red-pegged all the way.  I was in L3 for both runs.

The event director was genuinely impressed, and encouraged me to find
two more electrics here in Colorado so he could create a separate class.
I also had a few people come out of the crowd to congratulate me as
well.

I don't know if I'll become a regular at the tractor pulls, but I will
say this:  I'm ABSOLUTELY sure that these electric tractors would
outclass and kick their gas brethren if given a fair chance.  There is
no doubt in my mind.  My tired old E12M was completely stock, 30 years
old, and piloted by a newbie driver. yet it beat a couple of experienced
gas competitors with extensive modifications.  If I had put optima
batteries and/or a second motor on mine I could have gone home with a
trophy.  Besides, there are other tricks that electrics could do, such
as the anti-spin motor controller idea that Herb suggested.  I really
enjoyed talking to Herb and am glad he came to watch.

Unfortunately, Joe Rock was unable to attend.  Maybe we can find another
Elec-Trak'er in the area to compete with?

For those of you who are interested, pictures and a short video of the
second pull are available at the DEVC site.  Here's the direct link.
http://www.devc.org/images/2002-july/2002-july.htm

Cheers,
-Dave