Re: (ET) e12 hybrid?

Jeremy:

I actually use solar now to charge my E20's batteries; here are a few
thoughts:

1) Don't use an inverter connected to the on-board charger. It is an
inefficient power pig

2) Tap into the battery power via the 36 volt accessory plug (the little
molex one). It's wired directly into the batteries via the main disconnect
and the 40amp breaker. Thus you will have a disconnect and a DC breaker and
will be totally within code as a power supplier.

3) Don't over-estimate the amount of solar you will need to run the
tractor.
Remember: Solar is power over time. If you are only using the tractor once
week for an hour or two, three 60 watt panels and a SC-12 regulator at 36
volts is all you need. Over the week it will soak up the sun and charge the
batteries, on the weekend you can do your thing.

I went for serious overkill, and bought three MSX-120 panels for the
tractor. It can charge from dead to full in about two days; it recovers
from
my lawn mowing in one day of sun. Currently I have about 600 watts of solar
on the shed, and I can't manage to burn down the tractor and/or the shed
batteries. In fact, I bought a Micro-Sine 100 watt grid-tie inverter to
sell
the extra solar/battery power to the grid. I average about 1kw a day on
that
:-)

Check out my website http://www.crystel.com for more details on a solar
Elec-Trak.