Re: (ET) Electric Lawnboy

Steve,

Most of the 110 volt  AC models that I have seen...especially Black and Decker, use a universal motor, like an electric drill with a gear reduction.  The motor operates much faster than the blade to develope the power needed and still have a light weight unit. That's where the higher noise level comes into the picture on a corded unit.  The quiter ones will cost much more, due to a much larger motor being required for direct drive.

Gary Woodard

  Steven Naugler <snaugler earthlink net> wrote:

Dennis and others,

A local Toro dealer told me that the Toro and Lawnboy electric mowers were
the same except for the color.

In a 1999 Toro brochure there are three electric models:

1. E-120, an 18 inch mower, corded, weighing 38 pounds, and a 79 dB noise
level.

2. E-24, an 18 inch mower, 24 VDC, approx run time of 60 minutes, weighing
58 pounds, and a 73 dB noise level.

3. E-36, an 18 inch mower, 36 VDC, approx run time of 60 minutes, weighing
68 pounds, and a 73 dB noise level.

I wonder why the corded model, which is pictured to be almost identical to
the battery models, is 6 dB noiser. It could be that the corded model, not
being limited to battery power, might run the blade faster.

I've kept my eye out for a used electric push mower for several years but
not found one yet. New in 1999 the E24 listed for $389, and the E-36 for
$469. That's really not much different than the electric cordless Black &
Decker whose construction does not appear to be as solid.

Steve Naugler
snaugler earthlink net