Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 9:43 AM
Subject: RE: (ET) tiller motor temperature

Steve, Neil, John;

I till.  Lots.  1/2 acre of raspberries, 1.5 acres strawberries, 1/2 acre garden.  Sandy soil.

When the hitch is RAISED at the drawbar, the tilling is "aggressive", when down it is "cultivating".  Use the chain to set the lowest depth; don't make the tiller bounce too much.  Untwist and remove weeds at the end of each row.  The motor WILL run hot.  It has a thermal shut off; if it overheats (rare for me) let it cool for 10 minutes, then depress HARD the interlock.  I till deep as slow as the tractor goes; I cultivate slow in L.  That's the main reason I'm going to an E-15; slow is slower.  The current may go into the yellow, but not as often as with the snow blower.  I never see yellow unless I'm over 4.5" deep and have weeds collected on the blades.  I have worked with other tillers (Troy-Built, Sears, Ariens, Siemens) for years, and the bolts on the tiller blades are wrong.  They should have used carriage bolts and short, low-profile nuts or better yet; dedicated plow-bolts.  The blade design is good but there is too much bolt drag and weed collection area on their bolts.  I intend to come up with better bolts later this season.

Larry Elie