Re: (ET) Virus in Forwarded Mail

On 9 Jun 2002 at 22:06, Herb Crary wrote:

> I have received five emails in the last two days that Norton Anti Virus
> has
> detected a virus in. It is in an attached file called BGCOLOR.pif; the
> virus
> is W32Klez.H@mn, I believe. I have deleted each email that contained it
> for
> safety. Someone who posts to the Elec-trak has had their computer
> infected.

Just to be 100% clear here, none of these has been posted to the list.
Herb
is receiving these messages directly from the victim, not from the list.
So
if you haven't received them please don't feel left out.  <g>

The Klez worm is able to spoof the "from" address in emails, stealing the
addresses from files and emails it finds on the victim's computer.  I've
received emails from a couple of friends, warning me that my computer
supposedly has a virus because they received Klez worms with my name on
them.  'Taint so.  My computer is clean, and the mail headers show that
the
messages don't originate with my ISP.  Klez is sullying my good name.  <g>

Apparently someone to whom Herb has sent email in the past is infected,
and
has the ET list's posting address somewhere in his computer.  The sender
could be an ET list member, but could just as well not be.  Someone could
have forwarded a copy of a post to him, or CCed him on a post.  As long as
the address is on a file somewhere in his computer, Klez will find it.

But it never hurts to run an extra virus scan, just in case.  Of course if
you're running Linux, Windows 3.1, or some other less common OS or
variant,
you don't have to worry about this.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all

thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.

Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion

Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                                -- Harper's Index, April 2002