Re: (ET) What was that crash?

I always open the main disconnect when the tractor is parked.  I can do
this
since I charge with three external 12v chargers instead of the onboard
charger.

I haven't looked into it, but it seems to me it shouldn't be all that
tough
to rewire the onboard charger so it doesn't go through the disconnect.

That said, it's hard for me to understand how the tractor could start
itself.  For the L1 to pull in, you have to have the key on, the seat
switch
down, the brake up (doesn't apply to this one?), and the speed lever
advanced.  That's 3-4 switches that would have to fail.  Doesn't seem
likely.  Is the seat switch definitely working?  Are you sure you had the
key off?  I've accidentally left mine on a few times.

Barring such unlikely situations, the contactor would have to be at fault
here.  Typical contactor failure modes are that the coil opens and it
won't
pull in, or the contacts weld and it won't shut down.  I have never heard
of
a contactor closing on its own.  The only reason I can think of would be a
badly weakened return spring.

In this case, it's a safety issue.  I wouldn't fool with it -- change the
contactor, even if it seems OK now.  Perhaps even add a redundant one
somewhere.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all

thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.

Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion

Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                                -- Harper's Index, April 2002