From: ROBERT HEMINGWAY [mailto:r hemingway verizon net]
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 9:50 PM
To: Pieter Litchfield
Subject: Re: (ET) e-15 eats reverse relays

If you're eating relays, it sounds like you're switching from forward to
reverse rapidly, while the motor is still drawing current.  Stop in neutral
first.  It draws more than normal current when it is still rolling in the
opposite direction  When the Electrak was produced and sold in the early
70's this was not a characteristic failure.  The drive motor is all
windings, so there is not really anything in the motor that I know of that
turns it into a generator, even when it's rolling down a hill.  I cannot
speak as an expert anymore (it's been thirty years since I was a Quality
Engineer at GE for the Electrak.)  The predominant failures were 1. Battery
failure 2.  Mower motor bearing failure 3. Front axle breaking due to
faulty
castings 4.  Drive motor reversing under heavy load especially from the
tiller 5. Paint chalking (Paint was supposed to be acrylic but Egytian
Paint
substituted alkyd paint.  GE paint formerly in Chelsea, MA confirmed that
Egyptian had falsified their paint test data.)

This information may not be helpful, but I throw it out as somewhat blurred
memory.  We did have a generally tough time with most of our dealers,
because they were gas engine people and did not have a good understanding
of
the electrical characteristics of the tractors.  My function as Quality
Engineer was to design all of the factory testing including wiring and
final
test, which was done with a dynamometer and digital gauges.  I was also in
charge of all of the inspectors.
Bob Hemingway