Re: (ET) Mower motor bearing replacement

Larry and others, concerning motor bearings,

For the large frame traction motors I recommend using a 6205-2RS on the
large end and a 6203-2RS on the small end.

For the 3-1/2 inch diameter mower deck motors I recommend using a 6204-2RS
on the large end and a 6201-2RS on the small end.

I don't have bearing sizes for any other motors, but I will tell you how to
find them out in a moment.

All of the GE tractor motors use the 62XX series light metric bearings,
which are an industry standard available in many brands from many sources.
XX designates the particular size within the 6200 series.

First, open bearings vs. shields vs. seals.  I recommend using 2 seals on
our electric tractor motors because they are better than seals at keeping
grease in long term.  All of the motors I rebuilt had 2 shields.  Shields,
being metal instead of rubber, might theoretically last longer due to ozone
resistance, but I have found that seals do better for me so I always use
them in place of shields.

To get 1 shield, leaving one side of the motor open, add a "-S" to the end
of the bearing designator.  To get 2 shields add a "-2S" to the end of a
bearing designator.

To get 1 seal, or rubber seal, add a "-RS", to get 2 seals add "-2RS".

So for a 6205 bearing for the large end of a traction motor you could come
up with these part numbers"
a.  open bearing on both sides                    6205
b.  1 shield, open on the other side            6205-S
c.  2 shields                                                6205-2S
d.  1 seal, open on one side                        6205-RS
e.  2 seals                                                    6205-2RS

If you cannot get seals, but have a shielded bearing in hand, I'd use it.
Seals are the best, but shields are OK, especially on the small end of the
motors where moisture exposure is less likely.

Now sizes, or at least the sizes we might use in our tractors:  (A 6205 is
the biggest I know about in out motors.
Perhaps the transmissions use something larger than the 6205.)

bearing designator                ID in mm            OD in mm        Width
in mm
6200                                    10                        30
9
6201                                    12                        32
10
6202                                    15                        35
11
6203                                    17                        40
12
6204                                    20                        47
14
6205                                    25                        52
15
6206                                    30                        62
16
6207                                    35                        72
17
6208                                    40                        80
18
6209                                    45                        85
19
6210                                    50                        90
20

The sizing of the 6203 and smaller is arbitrary.  For 6204 and above there
is a pattern.

Multiply the XX in a 62XX by 5 to get the ID.  A 6207 has an ID of 35 mm.

Add the XX in a 62XX  to 10 mm to get the Width.  A 6205 has a Width of 15
mm.

So to size your bearings measure them to the nearest whole mm and use the
above chart for sizing.  For longetivity order the sealed bearings which
will have a part number like 62XX-2RS.

Steve Naugler
snaugler earthlink net