Re: (ET) Wiring up the rear lift

I certainly don't want to stand between a man and the tilling of his garden :)

Open up the seat to see the rear battery compartment and the four batteries it contains.  If you stand behind the tractor looking forward, the battery in the right front position is known as B3.  The left front is B4, right rear is B5 and left rear is B6.  What you need to do is connect the black wire to the negative (-) terminal of B3 and the other wire (should be white or red) to the negative (-) terminal of B5.

If you have access to a meter, set it to measure DC voltage and take a measurement between the B3 negative and B5 negative terminals before you make the connection.  You should read around 20 volts.  If you read something more than a couple of volts off from that, you don't have the correct terminals. This is a good precaution just in case someone has arranged things differently inside your tractor then is normal - always a possibility with the age of these beasts.

To make the connections you'll need to remove the bolts that secure the clamps on the large wires connected to these two battery posts.  Then slip the bolts through the ring on the lift power cord and reinstall them as before.  Tighten them enough so that the clamp does not slip off of the battery post, but no more.  BE CAREFULL when you do this - if you accidently slip and place a metal tool across two battery posts (or from a battery post to the tractor body) you will get way more excitement then you want.  (It's too early for July 4 fireworks, and besides you can't till the garden if you're in the hospital.)   Best bet is to wrap everything but the business end of the wrench you're using in electrical tape just in case.

Finally the other trick is to be sure you route the cord out of the battery compartment in a way that it won't get pinched with the seat open or closed.  You can run it through the gap that runs along most of the back of the battery compartment, and then head out to the right rather than straight down so it won't get pinched with the seat open.

Happy tilling!

- Tom Coate
   E-20
   Leesburg, VA