Re: (ET) ET E-8

On 27 May 2002 at 16:49, Basketsntractors aol com wrote:

> How rare is an E-8? How much can someone get in one that does not work?

The E8s and E10s are the small-frame Elec-traks.  Only the ER8-36 rider
mower is smaller.  The only difference I know of between an E8 and E10 is
that the latter has six 6v batteries (more range and better weight
balance)
while the former has three 12v.

AFAIK, an E8 isn't any more rare than any other ET.  It is generally not
as
much in demand as the large-frame tractors because it's not suited to much
more than mowing and light snow moving.  Right now, ETs are generally
acquired by people who want to put them to work, not by collectors, so
usability considerations are paramount.

In particular, the small-frame tractors are limited in the attachments
they'll accept.  They take only a belly mower (not a front mount mower), a
small snow blade, and a tow-behind sweeper.  An E10 can push a 36" snow
thrower, if you can find one.  E8s and E10s can't be used with tillers,
moldboard plows, or other ground-engaging attachments.

E8s and E10s have permanent magnet motors instead of the more rugged wound-
field motors of the larger tractors.  I'm told that it's not uncommon to
find E8s and E10s with motors in which the magnets have been weakend by
overheating.  (BTW, some of the later large-frame tractors also have PM
motors.)

All this said, an E8 or E10 in good shape is still a good choice for
mowing
small to mid-sized suburban lawns.

For a non-working E8 in unknown condition, I might pay $50 or $100 if it
came with a decent mower deck (and if I were still in the market for one).

A good, clean, running E8 or E10 with usable batteries and a mower deck
might sell for $250-$400.  For reference, an E15 (large-frame tractor)
just
sold on Ebay for $300.

Hope this helps.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.
Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion
Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                                                          -- Harper's
April 2002