(ET) Disc-plow on ET report.

As promised, I am giving a short report on building and using a one-way
disc-plow on an ET.  As you may know, a one-way disc-plow uses a disc
blade to completely turn over sod.  Small moboard plows; like the ET plow,
tend to plug in sod.  People scalp the sod before plowing.  The ET plow
was a 10" wide moboard mounted to the sleeve hitch with no coulter.

I used the sleeve hitch and electric lift.  I got an old International
Harvester dish coulter with an 18" blade.  Coulters are designed to cut
the soil in front of a moboard plow; dish coulter's use a dished blade
(like a disc-harrow) instead of a flat blade.  In trial and error (along
with some old pictures) I ended up with an angle of about 45 deg to the
axis of the tractor, and a little more; perhaps 50 deg to vertical.
Because of the height of the coulter, and because this was mainly at this
stage an experiment, I mounted directly to the sleeve hitch.  With the
hitch all the way up, I was still tuning about a 6" deep furrow; no space
under the sleeve-hitch.  To do this practically, one would have to extend
the hitch and raise the mount.  The E12 plowed in L about 10 to 12" wide
at 6 to 7" deep in light sandy soil.  The real problem was the lateral
force from the plow tended to push the back of the tractor to the side
from several inches to a foot.  Extending the hitch w!
ould make the problem more pronounced.  The only general fix would be to
add a flat coulter to the hitch to prevent the side slip of the tractor.
This isn't for this season.

Good quality digital pictures are available upon request.

Ditto good quality digital pictures of my category "0" 3-point hitch
adapter and a category "0" seeder mounted to the hitch.

Larry Elie