Re: (ET) Mower motor bearing replacement

In a message dated 5/18/02 11:24:28 PM, tcoate coate org wrote:

<< want to change the bearings on a large style mower motor.  In order to
do
that, you need to pull off the flange gadget at the end of the shaft where
the blade attaches.  Is there some trick that I'm missing in order to
doing
that?

I put a bearing separator under the flange and pulled about as hard as I
dared with a good size puller.  the thing didn't budge at all.  Is there
any sort of key down in the slot on the shaft that needs to come out
first?  If so, how?  Or is it likely to be rust?  And if it is, is there
anything I can do about that?

hi folks, the problem may be that you're trying to pull and push on the
blade
flange at the same time.  you have to put a strong bolt into the flange
hole
where you'd normally bolt on the blade.  then by pushing on the bolt, and
pulling on the blade flange, it should come off.  i've only seen this done
with a press.
    good luck, jon k albany, ny