(ET) Mower motor bearing replacement

I want to change the bearings on a large style mower motor. In order to do that, you need to pull off the flange gadget at the end of the shaft where the blade attaches. Is there some trick that I'm missing in order to doing that?

I put a bearing separator under the flange and pulled about as hard as I dared with a good size puller. the thing didn't budge at all. Is there any sort of key down in the slot on the shaft that needs to come out first? If so, how? Or is it likely to be rust? And if it is, is there anything I can do about that?

- Tom Coate
   E-20
   Leesburg, VA