(ET) Front bucket

A little more info from the Land of OZ - it is amazing where you find GE Elec-Traks!
Larry asked what the "Black thing" was on the rear of the tractor.  It is the 'Manual Rear Lift, model # AP58'. It works by the "Armstrong" method and carries the AP50 sleeve hitch.  I use it for a single furrow plough and a ball hitch for a road trailer.  I find that it is also good for pulling fence posts out. I have sent a copy of the manual to Larry as there is some useful info like - "A maximum lift advantage of 7:1 is provided, so a 210 pound load can be raised easily with one hand drawing 30 pounds"!

A warning on the front bucket - do not carry more that about 250 pounds unless you are certain that you have either a cast front axle (Pre mid 1972) or the fabricated axle fitted with case hardened spindles. I have sent Larry a diagram to explain this, but in the fabricated axle the spindle is held between separate top and bottom bearings. With too much load on the front tires the spindle will bend inside the axle and it is one hell of a job to get it out!!  This problem is covered in an ET Product Service Bulletin 0f April 7, 1972 - I will send Larry a copy.
You know when you have bent spindles, the steering goes stiff and grease does not help.

I note the discussion on the 48" Dozer blade model # AB48, - I have the original instruction sheet which gives info' on most of the problems of setting up including fitting a "Trip spring lockout bar" to prevent the blade tipping forward but must only be used in slowest speed to avoid throwing the operator over the front of the tractor.  Please ask if you would like me to scan this.
Sorry about the length of this!
Shaun.