(ET) speed problems

I got my new trojan 105's in and mowed last night, just like I remembered as a kid 30 years ago. Now the problem. This is an I-5. When I mow in D1 and step on the throttle, it goes very slowly and will not find the next speed. But if I step on it, push the cruise control in and let up on the throttle, the cruise cuts in and away I go at normal speed. If I am going level or down hill when I start, the throttle seems to behave normally. Any suggestions?