RE: (ET) lift strap

I have done this a bunch of times, but always with a coat-hanger (which
I'm not recommending; too weak).  Here goes.

Put the big 'staple' through the loop in the strap.

Push the two ends of the big 'staple' through the two holes in the shaft
all the way until the strap is tight against the shaft.  If part of the
old wire is still in the hole, you must remove it first.

You must bend the ends poking through the shaft.  I typically bend one
side one direction, and the other side in the opposite direction.  You can
use pliers to start it, or strong needle-nose pliers.  You can even use
the lift (with a helper) while holding the end to wrap the wire around the
shaft.  Wrap it tight.  I have been known to use a hammer and light pin to
make sure it is bent tight.

That's about it.  BTW, at this point, both up and down are really 'up'.
If you ever lower it all the way, it starts up again.  Same way with a
sticking switch; lower it too far and it comes back up and something
breaks.

Larry Elie