(ET) Controllers

OK...  What really is the best way to have a controller operate?  I've been
looking back over some of the discussion and I see what appears to be
tradeoffs:

- PWM uses the available power most efficeintly (and a controller could be
designed that used field weakening for the higher speeds)

- "Analog" control provides regen braking for those downhill grades

  I've got a little experience building microcontroller (Intel) based
controllers, so I believe building one wouldn't be tooooooo difficult - but
the basic approach is what I'm wondering about right now.  It sounds like
the larger EVs use series wound motors without separate connections for the
field, so we can't just use one of their controllers without serious
compromise.

Thoughts?
- - joe

Joseph Rock