Re: (ET) Reverse draws a lot of current: Why?

On 23 Feb 2002 at 18:51, Christopher Zach wrote:

> Actually, I checked the wiring schematic, and don't think the reversing
> relay is the problem.
>
> On an E20, field current is not reversed when you reverse the tractor.

I have an E15, not E20.  On mine reverse is accomplished by reversing the
field.  I believe that some E20s reversed the field also, despite what
the diagram says; not sure.  Check your own tractor.

Regardless, the symptoms you describe -- high current and high speed with
little torque -- strongly suggest low or no field current.  They are
occuring in reverse only.  So, if it's not the reverse relay, and I still
suspect that it is, you'll have to trace things out to discover what is
causing low/no field current in reverse.

Perhaps the reverse relay operates, but doesn't actually reverse the
field?  Odd, but possible ...

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.