Re: (ET) motor bearings and brushes

There's another message I'll have to save forever!

>>> "Steven Naugler" <snaugler earthlink net> 2/17/2002 5:41:50 PM >>>
To SteveS and others,

MOTOR BEARINGS:

The large frame traction motors use a 6203 bearing on the small end and a
6205 on the large end.

The small diameter mower deck motors use a 6201 on the small end and a 6204
on the large end.  The large diameter mower deck motors may use different
sizes.

SteveS, your Hoover bearing labeled 201 is a 6201, and the Hoover bearing
labeled 99204 is a 6204.  Hoover no longer makes bearings, and the Hoover
bearings are old enough that they don't use the curent industry standard
for
labeling bearings.

All of the GE tractor motors use metric bearings that are standard the
world
over.  All manufacturers use this bearing nomenclature.  If you aren't sure
of a size measure the IO, OD, and width in millimeters.  Then you can get a
bearing size from a chart.  Your bearing part number would be in the form
of
62xx-xxx.  For us GE folks use 62xx-2RS.

To get  two seals add -2RS to the bearing number.  For example, you'd want
to order 6201-2RS.  -1RS means one seal and one side open.  -2s means two
metal shields.  -1S means one metal shield.  Shields don't hold in the
grease as well as seals.

So, SteveS, you need for three deck motors three 6201-2RS, three 6204-2RS.
For your traction motor, assuming a large frame tractor with a shunt wound
motor you'd need one 6203-2RS and one 6205-2RS.

You should be able to get these from any bearing supply house, Grainger, or
even some good hardware stores.  Brand is not that important, but most
commonly found around here are SKF, Fafnir, and NSK.  Do not hesitate to
use
old bearings in dusty boxes so long as the wrapper is intact and the
bearing
is dry.

MOTOR BRUSHES:

The GE motor brushes are best ordered from Bill Gunn.  They are
proprietary,
and even if you could find brushes that fit, they may be the wrong
composition.  Your motors have lasted this long, probably with the original
brushes and little to no commutator wear, why risk an incorrect part unless
you cannot get them from Bill Gunn.

Hope this all helps.

Steve Naugler
snaugler earthlink net