Re: (ET) ET Go!

Take the belt off, and power up the motor. if the noise is still there, the
SEALED bearings in the traction motor need replaced If memory serves me
correctly,they are industry standard,6203, and 6205.The hardest part of
getting the motor apart is getting the pulley off. A good puller is a must,
since that fellas been on there for thirty years.
     If the noise is gone with the belt off, the noise is obviously in the
transaxle. If you have verified proper oil level, and chunks did not fall
out through the drain hole, go ahead and use it for a while. The Peerless®
2300 series transaxle is NOT a precision piece of equipment. With powdered
metal spur gears, and no effort to control clearances, they are noisy by
nature. There are some modifications that can be made, and larger input
shaft bearings are available.The fussier customers appreciate the quiet,
but
they have to also pay for the extra effort involved.
        After you put twenty or so hours on it, drain the oil out again,
and
see if it looks like something is coming apart. If not, as Arnie Palmer
says, "The world is your course, drive on ! "

RJ Kanary @ Bandi Bros. Inc.
Member TRNi  Since 1998
ASE® Certified Master Auto Technician
Member Tech Line Associates Since 1987