Re: (ET) Bye bye brakes

Well, personal anecdote:

A number of years ago my mom was bounced hard on the Craftsman 16hp tractor
they owned. The engine seat kill switch disabled the engine, however she
landed half on the seat/half off and the motor happily restarted and drove
forward till she fell completely off.

She was ok, but very shaken. This is part of the reason I like the
Elec-Trak's interlock system: If you fall off and grab the seat on the way
down the tractor will stay in "failed" mode.

That said, what I think we need here is a circuit that instead of just
shutting down the motor it brings the field current to full, then shorts
the
armature dead to itself along with the rest of the normal fault functions
(ie: killing all the attachments). This way the motor will be off, yet
shorted for maximum stopping power. After 30 seconds of this, the custom
circuit can cut out, returning the tractor's logic to a default "faulted"
condition.

Now the first set of questions are:

1) With the field current at full and the armature shorted, will the motor
behave the same way as a PM motor? If the field current is dead then it
doesn't matter what happens to the armature, so the field needs to be
powered somehow.

2) Where do you get max regen power on a shunt wound motor? With the field
current at max or min (I would guess max)

3) What is the effect of having field current at 100% but armature current
at zero (or less than zero)? Will the field windings burn up? How long can
they go with nothing in the armature, and will the back current coming from
a shorted armature blow up the field windings?

4) Will shorting the armature like this put so much braking energy on the
motor the belts will just slip rather than stop the tractor (even properly
tensioned belts must have some sort of slip point where they just go, esp
in
high gears)?

It would be neat to build a truly fail-safe stopping system into the seat
switch. When going down a steep hill, or when towing something heavy, you
want all the "stop power" you can possibly have.

Chris