(ET) Changing the oil...

Well, this evening I stopped by the hardware store, picked up two quarts
(64
fl oz) of 85/140 gear oil and drove the E20 up the driveway to change the
oil.

On the E20, changing oil is a *snap*. The drain bolt is on the sump; 1/2
inch wrench will remove it. The one on the back (fill) should be removed
after the drain; it's also easy to get to. Maybe the E15/12's have their
fill bolts somewhere else; you do not need to remove anything on the E20.

The oil drained slowly as it is about 30 degrees out and getting *colder*
fast. While draining, I cleaned off the bolts and checked for unusual
metallic particles. Both bolts have magnets in them to catch metal shards;
the bottom one had fine metallic hairs, the top one had none. Cleaned both
with brake cleaner (God, I love that stuff. Did you know you can buy it in
5
gallon containers!)

After letting it drain for an hour, I put on the bottom bolt, and proceeded
to fill. The space between the hitch and the tractor fits a oil bottle
nicely; I didn't need a funnel or anything. To speed it up, I put the oil
containers in a bucket of hot water. Makes a big difference.

The tranny took 60 oz before it reached the top of the rear port. I then
cooled the remaining oil, and squeezed it in with one big *glorp* then
closed up the port with the screw before much could leak back out. I
probably have 62oz in there right now; I'll refill it in the summer.

The old oil is yucky. Some foam on the top, bright *rust* color. However I
didn't see anny water, and I didn't see any metal chunks in there so the
gears are probably ok. Also it looks like there was about 64 oz in there to
begin with; I am *VERY* glad I spoke to Mr. Gunn today...

I'll post pics of the oil tomorrow on my web site. In the meantime, the
brakes are next: Mine is a floating caliper type, and the thing actually
looks to be in clean shape. Still, I'll replace it with the Mr. Gunn
special
that should be here next week. That and the CC and I will be ready to start
rebuilding the deck motors...

Moral: The oil that was in there probably would have kept things lubed for
bit if I didn't push the tractor. However the high rust content couldn't be
good for the gears, so I am glad I replaced it now. I'll replace the oil
again in the summer; that will give this new stuff time to clean out the
inside of the tranny.

Chris