Re: (ET) Bye bye brakes

Ok. I called up Mr. Gunn this morning and had a good 15 minute discussion.
Really nice guy; he must know *everything* about these tractors; I learned
lot, but didn't want to ask too many questions the first time...

As for the brakes, he explained to me that I do have the floating caliper
brakes. The caliper moves; the brake disc stays still. The problem with
them
though is that the housing is basically aluminum, with metal pins that
actuate the brake puck. Over time the al housing wears around the pin, at
which point more and more force is transferred to the pin and not to the
puck. Solution was a new brake caliper and everything for $30.

Also has the motor breakers, and we had a really interesting discussion as
to why some motors are tall and thin and others are short and fat.

Also have the serivce manual on the way. That should answer any other
questions I might have. Sounds like it is worth the $25.00.

Overall with a guy like this out there, Elec-Traks should be running for
the
next 30 years. I'd recommend buying things from him, regardless of price
because people like these can answer a question that would take you a week
to figure out by yourself (ie: The problem with my cruise control is
probably that the CC relay is stuck. Actuate it manually, and it should
engage)

I'll focus on getting the tractor finished off, then start working on the
deck. Aside from all this I want to remove all the batteries and paint the
trays with POR15 to stop any rust from forming (the paint is flaking in the
battery compartments; no rust yet, but it will happen). Then strip, POR,
and
paint the deck. Then find some yellow top-cover paint to match the tractor
(any ideas on color code or mix?)

Chris