Re: (ET) Bye bye brakes

Hey Chris,

The rotor is NOT supposed to "deform" but rather float free on it's keyed
shaft. I use a combo of air chisel, Breakaway and sometimes heat to free
up the
rotor and then remove it , clean up both shaft and sleeve, retighten the
rivets
by hammer and anvil (or replacement) and reinstall all with a gentle
coating
(you don't want any on the rotor and pads) of Never Seize. Here, unlike a
car,
the caliper doesn't float, but the rotor does. Also you will want to sand
the
rotor smooth with either a power sander or rotate the rotor in place with
the
motor while sanding by holding the paper against it. Not for the faint of
heart
but probably the fastest for the more experienced. DO NOT "grab" the rotor
with
the paper , but rather sand one side at a time. New pads (if they are
shot) go
without saying. Stainless steel rotors would avoid about 99% of the
problems
with these breaks. That and Never Seize.

Hope this helps you along,

Jim