Re: (ET) Charger questions

Hm. Question:

Has anyone in the past come up with a better charger for the Elec-Traks?
The
charger that is in there seems nice, but very outdated in terms of tech.
Basically it's a big iron transformer, center tapped with a pair of diodes
making a full-wave rectified DC source.

Modern chargers have the ability to do multiple setpoints, pulse charge,
monthly equalize automatically, and reduce the charge rate to a trickle as
the batteries approach full. This cuts down on the amount of water you have
to add to the cells, and basically would allow you to leave the tractor
plugged in 7*24.

In addition, I did a quick napkin calculation of the efficiency of the
Elec-Trak's charger and came up with a number around 60% (a lot of power
seems to go up as heat). Not bad, but not great when you consider the more
modern chargers tend to be more efficient.

As to where to plug the new charger, I seem to recall that the 36 volt
accessory takeoff on the tractors is always hot as long as the main power
shut-off is engaged. Could one plug a new charger's output into that
takeoff
and charge the batteries that way?

Chris