Re: (ET) E-20 rebuild report

On 27 Jan 2002 at 0:37, Christopher Zach wrote:

> Are these brushes a common-stock item, or are they not
> manufactured anymore? Any particular places to get them (along with the
> temp sensor)?

Bill Gunn should be able to supply all these parts.  I recommend ordering
a "homeowner's service manual" at the same time.  It has an excellent
section on troubleshooting with flowcharts.

I mostly trade with Bill now, instead of searching for equivalents
locally, so as to keep him in business and supporting the ET.

> I'll remove it tomorrow. Can one use rubbing alcohol on the brushes and
> housings to clean things off?

Don't know -- never had to do it.  Note that rubbing alcohol may also
contain non-solvent ingredients which can leave a residue.  I would use
denatured alcohol from the drugstore, or shellac thinner from a paint
store.

>  It's also possible I don't
> know the sound of a good motor. What do they sound like when running?

Hard to describe, until you've heard worn bearings and good ones.

It's easier to gauge the bearing condition by feel.  Unplug the deck and
turn the mower blade by hand.  It should feel smooth, not rough, as it
turns.  Give it a spin; it should coast a bit, and should also cause the
other blades to spin up a little, since the motor is acting as a
generator.  There should be very little noise at that speed.  If you hear
a metallic sound, the bearings are definitely going.

> > Be sure to tell Bill or the repair shop that you put oil on the
> > brushes.
>
> That big of a disaster?

Just so they know that the brushes and brush holders need to be cleaned
or perhaps replaced.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.