(ET) Red Hot Resistor

My E12 was running fine and then stopped. Now, when I put it in forward or
reverse, the 'fuel gauge' goes all the way to the left and the 'power-use
gauge' goes all the way to the right. Also, the metal strap which is
located in front of the charger and looks like it is wrapped around a
ceramic plate, gets red hot, in less than 10 seconds.
The drive motor seems to be okay. Sometimes, it will turn when in forward
or reverse.
Any ideas or is this explanation too vague?