RE: (ET) Intro: Just bought an Elec-Trac

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Murcek [mailto:rmurcek geisinger edu]
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 10:35 PM
To: roden ald net; czach computer org; elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Intro: Just bought an Elec-Trac

Just a clarification about the transformer isolation thing...  You can
charge three pairs of 6V batteries at the same time from a single source,
but you'd have to disconnect some of the tractor's interbattery
connections.  This has been a hot topic here since most consider this a
major nuisance.

Yes, but you can check the isolation with an ohm-meter.  I have used 2 or
more chargers WITH the ET charger (fully isolated) to do a quick charge,
without any disconnects.  I have not yet seen (others have) chargers that
are not isolated.  Unfortunately, the ET charger likes to see a circuit
pretty much all by itself to avoid tripping a breaker, or I might have
used more.  All you really have to insure is that you don't try to COMBINE
batteries (i.e. parallel them) without disconnecting interbattry
connections.

Larry Elie