Re: (ET) battery desulfation

I recognize that some people, including some pretty knowledgable ones,
have reported anecdotal positive results from electronic desulfators. I'm
continuing to watch for carefully gathered evidence that confirms the
anecdotes, but so far I'm not entirely sold on electronic desulfators.

One reason is that sulfation is, by definition, irreversible.  Once lead
sulfate crystalizes and sheds from the plates of a battery, there is no
way, electrically, chemically, or otherwise, to return it to the plates.
The sulfation represents irretrievably lost capacity in one or more
cells.  It can be caused by chronic undercharging.

That said, I would like to quote here some comments on sulfation and
battery aging from Nawaz Qureshi, a senior electrochemist at US Battery.
Nawaz also worked for many years at Trojan Battery, and is a frequent and
valued contributor to the EV discussion list.

-- begin quoted text --

1. Normally, batteries do not fail from sulfation. They fail from the
positive grid corrosion, but primarily from the positive plate active
material (lead dioxide) shedding. The loss of this material means loss of
capacity.

2. The positive plate loses its integrity by cycling: the crystal
structure gets destroyed, a little bit at a time, until the particles get
so small that they float away from the plate forming the sludge at the
bottom of the cell.

3. During charge, when the lead dioxide particles, floating around in the
acid, touch the negative plate, they convert (plate out) into lead metal
dendrites which grow towards the positive plate, eventually creating a
short. This is also called mossing.

4. During discharge both of the electrodes (lead dioxide and spongy lead)
convert to lead sulfate, reversing upon re-charge. So  lead sulfate
formation is a necessary condition for the battery to function.

5. If you let a battery sit for 6 months or more, the self discharge
reactions occur very slowly, forming very large lead sulfate crystals.
Since lead sulfate is an electronic insulator, they do not convert
(recharge) easily. This rather pathological condition is called
sulfation. Normal operation of the battery should not and does not cause
this condition unless you operate your batteries in significantly
undercharged condition (mismatched charger?).

-- end quoted text --

In short, unless you allow your batteries to sit unmaintained for many
months at a stretch, or unless your charger's output is much too low,
sulfation is not as much of a problem as it's made out to be.  (This was
news to me too.  For many years I believed what I'd read -- that
sulfation was the main cause of lost capacity.)

If you have one or more undercharged cells, that will limit your
available battery capacity.  It or they can be brought up to the highest
possible level of charge by equalization, restoring capacity.

I believe that cell equalization is the principal benefit of electronic
desulfators.  However, it's actually a byproduct of the way they're used.
It could be accomplished just as well without them by performing a long,
slow equalization charge.

By the way, one very aggressive maker of electronic desulfators made an
attempt to sell his product on the EV discussion list several months ago.
 The result was that the list nominated a member to buy some and test
them thoroughly.

Suddenly, the manufacturer stopped posting to the EV list.  When last I
heard, the manufacturer still hadn't shipped them to the tester.  The
tester reported that he claimed that he wanted to wait until his "new,
improved model" was ready.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.