From: Jim [mailto:fiskfarm mediaone net]
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 9:44 AM
To: RJ Kanary
Cc: Jeremy Gagliardi com; Elec-Trak
Subject: Re: (ET) amps/ uneven loading

Looking at an E-20 diagram the charger and the small rec. (chain saw,
drill, etc. ) are the only loads so to speak, on CB-2 (the resetable
breaker)

In following the discussion on uneven loads, I think the lights aren't
enough of a load to these monster batteries to even be considered, while
the lift on the other hand, is very damaging during heavy usage. Since
it is evenly dividing the battery bank into 2 halves, why not provide 2
quick disconnects or switches from the marine world, to alternate which
banks the lift runs off. That way when the first bank shows weakness,
(or before) just open the hood and change to the other bank. Or given
the marine switch scenario, just throw the switch.

Having had this problem during heavy work sessions, I think I will
follow my own advice and try this. It will also solve the battery damage
problem at the same time and best of all will cost almost nothing. I
would use at least #10 wire and 30 amp plug/rec. or battery switch. The
lift uses very little juice but you want to avoid any voltage drop as
that is what burns out motors more often than a little over voltage. (I
have been running my 9.6v Bosch impact tool on 12v for years ((much to
the dismay of my Bosch dealer)) and it is happy, happy)  Also, I would
take the time to remove the lift once in a while, disassemble it, clean
it, and relube it using the best grease available, ie Mobile 1.

Also, I have run my lift motors on 24v on occasion purposely and have
experienced no problems. (like when I use that heavy snow blower) This
is not however a recomendation. I have lost one lift over the years and
that was due to poor maintenance, (see above) and not motor failure.
AMPS and volts (read HEAT or watts) are the big motor killer, not
voltage. The biggest threat from over voltage is over reving the
armature, so make sure it has a good load if you over volt it. I often
"pulse" the lift switch on the way down in order to keep the revs down.
(12v coming down and 24v when lifting would be about right, but thats
another discussion)

As always, I hope this helps,
Jim