Re: (ET) charger

On 22 Oct 2001, at 9:30, Jeremy Gagliardi com wrote:

> Is it possible to hook up the chargers in series, or will that fry their
> circuits?

If the chargers are transformer isolated, and if they have NO charge
controller circuitry, they ~might~ work in series.  (The first condition
is likely, the second is not.  All but the very cheapest chargers now
have at least nominal change control.)

But even if both of these conditions are true, your batteries will charge
more evenly if you connect them as you describe (one charger to each two
batteries).  There is no advantage to connecting the chargers in series.

If you are going to use this one-charger-for-each-two-batteries scheme, I
recommend rewiring the lift motor tap so that it is either 12 or 24
volts, not 18.  This will help the batteries in a "charger pair"
discharge more evenly during tractor use.

BTW, I use a similar scheme.  I run my tractor with six 12v gel batteries
in series/parallel, and charge them with 3 12v chargers.  Works fine.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.