(ET) surges and blowin fuses...

My E12S has a new trick, mowing along in LL at full throttle shut off the
PTO and it practically does a wheelie and just screams  along at about
4+mph
in LL still.
I shut it down and then discover that the in-line fuse that I'd added to
protect the reverse relay is blown.  At first this fuse appeared to blow
anytime I stopped suddenly although it wasn't consistent.  It will blow if
came off the seat (many times), it will blow if I stomp on the brake
(once),
it will sometimes blow for no apparent reason at all but usually when I am
coming to a stop.  We reasoned that the collasping field was sending a
surge
back thru the circut and into the relay blowing the fuse on the way.  We
put
a diode across the motor to block the surge.  Didn't make any difference.
We put a MOV across the field right down at the field terminals on the
motor, no difference.  Still blowing fuses.  when I first got the machine I
found some wire damage where one of the cables had been rubbing against the
motor pulley.  I taped that up.

Right now I've run out of ideas and fixes to try.  Anyone have any
suggestions, ideas?  Thought I'd post before calling Bill.

thanks much,
dave barden
seattle
E12S