From: daveb seanet com [mailto:daveb seanet com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 4:41 AM
To: Daniel Eyk; daveb seanet com; Jim Coate; Elec-Trak List;
diggerdave bigfoot com
Subject: Re: (ET) time for a new pack...

Thanks to all who responded with battery advice and info.  Now I have one
last
question (yeah sure) ;^)

I am thinking that I'll have only about two months of tractor use left
this
year before parking it for the winter.  Not that I won't use it at all
during
the winter but it won't be used very often.  Would it be better to wait
till
spring to buy and install the new pack?  Our winters out here are
relatively
mild to most of you folks on this list.  also the pack I currently have is
barely adequate as I am usually down near "empty" on the fuel gauge even
after
a 10 hour charge, which produced a resting pack voltage of 38.3v several
hours
after the charger shut off but before use.

thanks much,
dave
E12S
Seattle
"

OK, Dave, which is it, 38.3V or 43.5V?  43.5V is probably 'fully charged'
but 38.3V is NOT.  I repeat, 38.3V is NOT FULLY CHARGED.  Ignore that the
ET is '36V'; it isn't.  I doubt you can mow more that 15 to 30 minutes on
38.3V, but 42V or better should run 3 to 4 hours.  Voltage IS a reasonable
measure of charge but the effect is decidedly non-linear; an extra volt at
the 38V level may represent 10 minutes mow time but an extra volt at the
42V level probably represents anything from 30 to 60 minutes more mow
time.  I hate to keep hammering at this but the best indication (other
than checking the electrolyte itself) for charge condition is voltage.

Second, get some experience at full charge/discharge on your old batteries
before getting new ones.  In other words, get the new pack next spring.

Larry Elie