Re: (ET) Carbon Monoxide While Charging?

On 22 Jul 2001, at 14:46, Paul  Heinzerling wrote:

> Does anyone know whether batteries charging in the final gassing phase
> produce Carbon Monoxide?

No, there is nothing in batteries' chemistry that would produce carbon
monoxide or even carbon dioxide.  They produce only hydrogen and oxygen
unless grossly overcharged; then they can emit hydrogen sulfide.  This is
a pronounced "rotten egg" odor -- you know it when it happens.   And if
your meters are accurate, you weren't grossly overcharging.

I don't know how CO detectors work, so I can't guess why yours would
react to hydrogen.  The instruction book supplied with mine doesn't say
anything about it being sensitive to other gases.

Some people may suggest installing an exhaust fan in your garage, but I
don't think that's necessary.   Unlike gasoline fumes, hydrogen rises.
Its molecules are so small that they migrate quickly right through the
roof.  You have to have a severe overcharge condition, or else a heck of
a lot of batteries, to accumulate an explosive level of hydrogen in a
closed garage of normal size.

Of course you should still keep flames and sparks away from the
batteries.  It's possible to build up pockets of hydrogen near them.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1974 Honda Civic EV 96vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.