From: Paul Heinzerling
To: Elec-trak
Sent: 7/22/01 2:46:20 PM
Subject: (ET) Carbon Monoxide While Charging?

Does anyone know whether batteries charging in the final gassing phase
produce Carbon Monoxide?  Last night while at the end of a charge with a
Lester automatic charger (finishing rate of about 45 volts and 7 amps) in a
large but closed garage, my CO detector went off and showed about 60 ppm.  I
aired the place out and it went to zero.  Tried it again today and got a
repeat.  Is this truly CO, or are CO detectors sensitive to hydrogen?
Either way, a scary new aspect to charging in a closed environment.

Paul Heinzerling
Hudson, OH