From: Lee Richardson [mailto:lrichard jbc edu]
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 9:32 AM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Valve Stems

you wrote:

>All the discussion on cast vs. welded axles brought to mind a question.
>My E-15 has the cast front axle.  The front wheelshave the valve stems
>on the inside.  The wheel geometry prevents turning them so that the
>stem is on the outside.  Is this standard?
>
>                                         Rhett George

 From Lee in Tennessee:

I think the difference is in the width of the wheels.  My E-15 (cast iron
axle) has narrow front wheels/tires and the valve stems are on the
outside.  My E-20 (Steel axle) has wide front wheels/tires and the only
way
they will fit is with the valve stems facing in.  I have no idea what was
standard.  Maybe the wide tires were an optional extra, for extra
protection for the turf (?)