Re: (ET) Battery eyes?

On 18 May 2001, at 10:44, Elie, Larry (L.D.) wrote:

> With the working charger off a parts tractor, I was going to run two
> chargers in parallel on one battery pack.

One way of doing this with more safety is to time the extra charger's
shutoff so that it takes part only in the bulk phase of the charge (up to
80% charged) and then leaves the absorption phase to a single charger.

I have done this with EVs, paralleling a crude high-output charger with a
well-controlled low-output charger.  I put the high output charger on a
timer and set the timer conservatively so it would shut off well before
the pack got to 80%.  I haven't done it lately, but it worked OK a few
years ago.

Just make sure that at least one charger is 100% isolated from the AC
line.  This isn't a concern with the ET chargers.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc
1974 Honda Civic EV 96vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all
thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.