Re: (ET) Mower motor bearings

Title: Re: (ET) Mower motor bearings
Personally I liked the head on the bolt so you don't have to worry about catching the motor when it releases.  This is expecially true on hand arbor presses.
Dean A. Stuckmann

From: "Steven Naugler" <snaugler earthlink net>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 22:27:54 -0400
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu, KevinC927 aol com, "Pestka, Dennis J" <Dennis Pestka mkg com>
Subject: RE: (ET) Mower motor bearings

Dennis, Kevin, and others,

On why you cur the head of the bolt off.:  You don't have to.  I made this tool based on Bill Gunn's verbal description, and then took it to work and used the press there.  I found that cutting the head off the bolt was not needed, but I preferred it to be cut off.  With the head cut off the bolt, the flange will slide totally off the motor.  With the bolt head still on, the flange stays on the motor until you remove the bolt.  I personnally find it more convenient with the bolt off, so to perpetuate my prejudices, I without thinking tell people to cut the bolt head off.

If you want to see what a split bearing puller looks like, go to http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/start.jsp , then search for Grainger stock number 1A807, and you'll get a nice picture.  I find that most small wheel pullers don't fit under the small GE motor bearings, but a split bearing puller will.  (The space between the commutator and the bearing is too thin.)  I use a hydraulic shop press at work, but there are hand pullers that will mount to the split bearing puller as well.  These are all items a motor shop should have.

--- Steven Naugler
--- snaugler earthlink net