(ET) Mower blades etc

Hey, what's the deal with the fiber washers?  I had the blades spin off
when
I used them,so I took them out,  but I guess that's not such a good idea,
either. Should I put them back in and locktite the bolt that hold the
blade?

I changed to an MTD blade with 3/8" hole.  The old blades were shot and
the
threads in the mower motors were stripped out. I bored out and rethreaded
the
motors for that size.  Seems to work good, and new blades are about $4.50
each at Agri-supply.

Also, what about that collar that goes around the motor shaft and holds
that
washer that I guess is supposed to work like a flange and support the
blade?
I replaced the bearings on one motor, and when I went to put it back
together, that flange didn't look like it was worth much.  The washer was
just peened into place, so I left it out.  I did replace the rubber
washer,
which make sense to have.

Brad Fayette

"The geeks shall inherit the earth."