Re: (ET) Technical Service

It seems to me that a quite a few people were interested in purchasing the Elec-Trak business from Bill back a few weeks ago. Has any of the interested parties been in contact with him ? How did it go and what were the results ? This may give us and idea as to where to go next. Most of the ideas covered have been done to death and there must be a reason that these either haven't been done or failed.

From: "Don Barry" <Don Barry kmtc com>
To: "<Elec-trak" <elec-trak cosmos5 phy Tufts edu>
Subject: Re: (ET) Technical Service
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 17:14:15 -0600

Brad, excellent idea.

I think having such a database or FAQ is they way to go. I would propose that:

1. Maybe it's time for an Elec-Trak Owners Club, with the mission being to promote, protect and preserve the unique Elec-Trak tractor. We're much stronger with a united voice than a bunch of guys scrambling around on our own.

2. Does here someone have a relationship with Bill Gunn? I had plans of contacting him, and making a trip up North to meet him. I think a couple hours spent with Bill and a tape recorder would gets a ton of info recorded that Bill gets asked time and time again. Plus, following the aformentioned "mission" we can see what it takes to keep Bill in the loop.

3. If everyone else is interested, I'll commit to ordering up a WWW site from an ISP for us to plop all the club info. I know Bill Gunn owns the URL www.elec-trak.com, maybe he'll let us get it pointed there. With the WWW site we could do an on-line newsletter, avoiding the killer of most clubs, i.e. printing costs.

4. I'd propose that on the WWW site we keep a list of all the parts and services Bill has. That, plus the FAQ list, should help Bill in spending his time in a much saner manner.

5. We should also have a list of true NOS (now out-of-stock) parts... like the mower decks, etc. With the idea being that if anyone sees one, to get it fast. Plus, we might me able to get some of the automotive specialty shops interested in making some dupes.

6. I know this sounds a little off, but I bet if we got a little more organized, we could apply for, and get, some assistance from the gov't .. after all, aren't we being enviromentally cool folks?? I'm not talking tons of cash, but things maybe like getting them to do the Articles of Incorporation for a non-profit group.

All rise and be counted!

Don Barry

>>> <Bfayette aol com> 01/21/01 04:21PM >>>
What exactly is not available from other sources? It seems to me that a lot of comsumable parts are off the shelf stuff. I have had no problem coming up
with bearings, mower blades, belts, and stuff like that.  You can always
somehow work around switches, relays, etc and probably even improve things
with 21st century technology.   Stuff like mower decks are obviously a
problem, as are the mower motors. But there may be surplus or off the shelf
solutions or work-arounds for this, too.  Maybe we should start putting
together a database of parts. If a part is off the shelf, it would indicate
part numbers, sources, etc.  If a part is not off the shelf, it would
indicate that fact as well as a possible workaround, if one exists.  Any
thoughts?

Brad Fayette

"The geeks shall inherit the earth."