From: Steven Naugler [mailto:snaugler earthlink net]
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000 9:31 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos5 phy tufts edu; Barry Woods
Subject: RE: (ET) Bill Gunn

;On how to help keep Bill Gunn in the business, I think several ideas ;have
;merit.

;1.  Bill could refer questions to this discussion group, and handle ;only
;those we can't help on.

It's hard to tell a paying customer you don't have time for him.

;2.  Bill could have a designated time once or twice a week for the ET
;business, but the other times would be off limits.

This is sort of how Bill handles this now.  After noon he isn't there.

;3.  The 900 number is a good idea if when you call Bill is there.  A ;900
;number with one or two designated times a week that it would be ;answered
;could work.

I'm not sure, but I think 900 numbers actually COST you unless the
number of calls is significant.

;4.  A web site with the schematics and drawings posted would reduce
;Bill's
;time on the phone.  If there were drawings with part numbers ;customers
;could e mail requests for parts quotations, further reducing time on ;the
;phone.  Someone would have to donate time to help set up the web ;site,
and
;that couldn't be me for lack of expertise and time.

I think Bill has rejected schematics online.  I agree, exploded
parts breakdowns, with PRICES would be great, and probably increase
his sales, but he hasn't thought it worth the effort, and it IS
effort.

;5.  If Bill took MasterCard or VISA, transactions could be processed
;right
;away eliminating call backs and extra communication via mail.  I'd ;pay 2
;4 % more to be able to order immediately vs. a few days later via ;mail.

He did at one time.  It cost him too much to do so.  If the parts
business were a PART OF ANOTHER BUSINESS (HINT!) this could work,
but probably not as a stand-alone.

;Steve Naugler

Steve, my vision is more akin this being picked up by some other
business dealing in mail-order, at least in part.  I buy tractor
parts, and places like Central Tractor can deal in used parts
because they handle so many other things to pay the bills.  Bill's
operation is not large, but I think the value in terms of
inventory, customer lists and prints is very high-- it would take
several if not many years of sales at present levels to ever pay
off the inventory.  Either that or it would have to become the
hobby of some well heeled individual.  We may not like the outcome.

Larry Elie

--- Steven Naugler
--- snaugler earthlink net